Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, May 8, 2009

Epic Fail

Yes Becca, I am copying your title...because I had an epic fail the other day. And now that I have gotten over the whole embarrassment thing, I am able to tell the world...I failed.

I was going to my car on Tuesday evening around 6 pm (at work). It was nearing the end of my lunch break. I am minding my own business (okay, no one else was around, but still!) walking down the stairs with my keys, phone, and a soda in my hands. Well, here comes the epic fail part: I totally fell. I am usually incredibly amazing at NOT falling. I am an artist at stumbling and catching myself, and I almost never fall. Except for then. And fall did I! If I remember correctly (which, I don't really...but we'll try!) I stumbled, over myself of course, and missed the last 3 or 4 steps. I go crashing head first toward the wall and the shopping cart that was right there and hit the cart with my head and right arm. I landed hard on my knees, which is where I sustained the majority of my injuries. I had my keys and phone in one hand and the soda in another...Next thing I know, keys and phone are across the hallway, soda can in crumbled in my hand and soda is EVERYWHERE: in my hair, on the ground, everywhere. And whats my first reaction? "Oh good, no one saw! If I can clean this up quickly, no one will ever know!"

SO I hurry and clean everything up as best as I could (literally had no idea if I was hurt or not, my adrenaline was SO high!) and went out to my car...I sit down...and feel the full weight of my injuries. I slowly pull up my pant legs and what do I see? An incredibly large bruise ALREADY forming on my right knee, and my left knee has swollen to almost twice its normal size.

Crap...what do I do now? I get out of my car and realize that I can't walk normally now. There is no hiding that I am hurt. It takes probably 20 or so minutes to actually admit to myself that I need to tell someone, at which point I completely lose it. I am bawling as I'm trying to tell my store manager what happened, partly because it hurts so much and mostly because I feel so dumb. I was closing the front end, which means I am up and down the stairs all night long counting the registers out and getting all that paperwork done. Does this sound like something I can really do? Yeah, I didn't think so. So instead of sending me home (I didn't want to go to the doctor), I was banished to "my office" (or my hole, as I so affectionately call it. Its a room thats like 6'x6' MAYBE, with no windows and its always locked...it's a hole) while my manager brings up the drawers a few at a time so I can count them. For 2 straight hours, there I sat. When I did try to get up, I opened the door, which looks in our break room, and was promptly yelled at by an employee to get off my feet! How rude!! :)


I do manage to venture out and grab my cell phone, on which I played Tetris for about a half hour (there was nothing more I could do at this point, and we still weren't closed!) I was so bored. I called Clint, who freaked out a little bit, and he promised me a bowl of ice cream when I got home, so that was awesome! Needless to say, I am swollen, bruised, and mostly embarrassed. And no, I did NOT take any pictures; I definitely didn't want to document my epic fail!

So three days later, I am walking more uprightly (which is a total plus!). Thats about all I can say. My lower back and my tail bone are in a lot of pain because of the way I've been standing (leaning most of my weight primarily on my right side). Which ALSO means that my hips and alignment are completely whacked out. I will be needing a good chiropractor in the near future to fix this problem.

I am okay though, I will live. Life is interesting sometimes...if it wasn't for my husband's constant nagging to eat healthier foods and drink more milk, I probably could have SERIOUSLY hurt myself. I definitely fell hard enough to warrant something like that, but I was extremely lucky. I guess I can't call it nagging anymore; its helpful advice that I will continue to follow!!! :)

1 comment:

Sara said...

So sorry you fell so "epically.", but you need to share a picture of that bad boy. hah hah
Hears to happy healing!
Sheesh, it would be SO FUNNY to be a fly on the wall when you fell. I would laugh with you AFTER helping you up. ;)